Jan 6-8 2017

We got to a point where I can’t really help too much so Tom had to do most of the work.

Next step after where we left off is to rip up the underfloor. It’s dangerous because there isn’t anything underneath, you don’t want to fall through to the basement! Tom did this part by himself.

dscn0351

dscn0355

Once he got all the floor ripped up he had to level the floor. The whole house is not level for some reason, so when we renovate we can’t just pick a floor we like and put it in. We have to go through this process every time. First Tom gets a laser level thing and sit it in the corner and it shoots all around the room so you can see where your floor needs to be. Then he has to measure and cut boards and attach them to the boards under the floor that are already there at the right height so that it makes it level. It’s time-consuming and seems dangerous to me!

dscn0359

dscn0361

When we did the bedroom it took a long time so I was thinking we’d be at this stage for a while but Tom worked hard and had it all done by the end of the weekend! It was really impressive. On Friday night he had just finished ripping the floor up and by Sunday night he had the new sub-floor down!

dscn0363

Garth likes to think he’s helping 🙂

There wasn’t much I could do except help Tom shop for supplies, and get him tools and boards and stuff when he needed it. I’ll be more useful with the next part!

January 2 2017

It’s been a long time since we did any work on renovations. We’ve been distracted by other things. So we decided to take advantage of our day off and get some more done on the closet.

We had moved all the renovation stuff into the closet to create more space during the holidays, which means we had to move it all back out in order to keep working.

dscn0316

dscn0319

Once that was done we finished ripping everything off the last wall.

dscn0321

Next we tackled the floor. We originally planned to keep the floor because it’s from the original house, which is neat, but it turns out we’re not going to. The entire house is uneven so every room needs to leveled, which means ripping the floor up. Plus, the floor isn’t in great condition and doesn’t really match what we’re going for, so long story short we’re getting rid of it.

dscn0322

It didn’t take too long to rip it up once we got going. I used the hammer and tiny pry-bar to lift pieces at the end and then Tom got in with the long pry-bar to lift the rest.

dscn0325

Under the one inch slats we found some sort of weird patterned tar paper had been nailed down.

dscn0330

It wasn’t hard to get up, Tom just found a corner and lifted and it came up through the nails in big pieces, and that’s when we made our most interesting discovery yet! The floor had been covered underneath with newspaper. They were all newspapers from 1943 and 1944, so a lot of it is stuff about the war! We thought it was really interesting so we did the extra work of ripping up ALL the nails in order to try and save as much of the newspaper as we could.

 

That’s where we stopped yesterday. Next we’ll either put up the insulation on the outer wall before ripping the floor up, or we’ll start ripping the rest of the floor up and leveling it and then we can do the insulation after we put the new sub-floor down. It will be up to Tom!

dscn0348